Tuesday 2 July 2013

Runner Up! Challenge - Half Marathon Training Plan

1st July - my 10 week half marathon training programme has officially started!

I am training up to The Big Day on 8th September. Watching this below short video from last years half marathon in Budapest is just an absolute motivation for me and I can’t wait to participate.


                                                                                                                  Your only limit is you!


So I have watched and read many many videos and articles about running techniques, training programmes, half marathon guidelines to make sure I prepare myself the best.. 

Here are my favourites that inspired and helped my training :)



This half marathon training guide from Runnersworld is a great summary of what one needs to know and prepare herself for the race. It includes everything from sports gears to nutrition, training rules and guidelines.

Setting the goal is the very first step of running a marathon. Ask yourself what do you want to achieve. This booklet suggests that you have to set at least 3 goals and one of it has to be fairly easily achievable so that you do not leave the race disappointed. As a first half marathoner I do not have high expectations from myself :) so I just would put simply:
1.  the first goal to finish the race
2. up as second, finish the race within 2 hours 15 min
3. as third, finish within 2 hours 





Enter your goal, the race date, and your average 5k time and Smartcoach onRunnersworld pulls together a plan to train up to your race date. I found it very useful to advice on how to combine easy runs, with tempo and long runs. I have used and followed it for the last couple of months and I find that the plan really boosted my endurance.










However, now that I have the endurance for long runs – I would like to boost my speed as well. For that I have found the most useful exercises are interval trainings. About.com advices on the different types you can practise. I am so excited to shake my training up with these as it gives a bit of change and makes the training even more fun. I will definitely include stair running, speed drills and jump rope workouts. Yeaah!






I always thought that running is better alone, however, after watching this video with ToneItUp, I asked my friends to bring along their running shoes and lets work out together. What I like that they mix running with some exercises that build strength, which again gives a variety.




So I mentioned speed drills.. I wanted to know how to sprint well. I mean everybody knows how to sprint, but how to do it properly. I found that this guy’s video is very helpful in understanding the moves and how to train for speed.






When it comes to cross training, I just love the workouts that are pulled together by ToneItUp girls. I will keep work out with them on crosstraining days






No comments:

Post a Comment